In the case where a user is not receiving the OTP from their institution, there are a few options they can try:
- Confirm the user's phone number listed on their profile at the bank is correct and not confusing home and mobile numbers
- Confirm if there is an email address listed as another contact option
- Try the phone call or email options to receive the code (this is often the easiest option to get connected)
- Have the user try to trigger SMS multi-factor authentication from a private/incognito browser or a new device to see if they can receive the code outside of Plaid Link
- Many banks use SMS short codes, which sometimes a phone won't accept. The user should confirm with their mobile carrier that they can receive short codes. Some users block them and some carriers require you to opt-in to them (this is less frequent, but does happen)
- Have the user try to test directly by logging in to the institution’s website from a private browser window or new device, which should trigger the MFA flow. They can then see whether or not they're able to receive a security code directly.
If the steps above don't work, please log in to the Plaid Dashboard to submit a support request.